The Community KYC [an introduction thread]

A place for anyone to introduce themselves, whether youā€™re working on, interested in or simply a bystander to Vega. Feel free to include answers to as many of these questions as you want.

• What brings you here?

• Whatā€™s your dream use case of Vega?

• Favourite crypto meme?

• What fictional world or place would you like to visit?

• What book or movie would you recommend and why?

5 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Danny. Iā€™m the solidity developer and blockchain integrator working here at Vega. Iā€™ve been in this field for a while and am honored to be a member of such an accomplished team of talented people.

-What book or movie would you recommend and why?

Everyone here should probably read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Itā€™s about currency and cryptography and stores of value. Itā€™s well researched and, having been published in 1999, predated cryptocurrency by a while.

-Favourite crypto meme?

f6TnaFp

8 Likes

Hey! My name is Candida, and I manage the content & social media at Vega, so youā€™ll probably see a lot blog posts with my name on them.

• What brings you here?
    Iā€™m here to learn more about our community members, talk about what weā€™ve been up to and get some reading recommendations.

Iā€™d love to visit the Bobā€™s Burgers world, so I could try the ā€œI Fought the Slaw (And the Slaw Won)ā€ burger. ā€¦and maybe steal Louiseā€™s bunny ears.

6 Likes

Witold here, Iā€™m working at Vega as a Quant.

Really excited to be able to join this project: not just because of itā€™s potential to shake the ancien rĆ©gime of financial services and make them more accessible, but also because itā€™s being looked after by a relatively small team full of amazing people backed by a growing community of sympathizers.

Whatā€™s your dream use case of Vega?

• Donā€™t think we should focus on any single use case: building in enough flexibility, so that any entity from a sovereign state to a remote farming community can be better off by using it would be absolutely amazing.

Favourite crypto meme?

• download

What fictional world or place would you like to visit?

• Flatland.

What book or movie would you recommend and why?

• Catā€™s Cradle, because while itā€™s always worth reflecting about our attitudes to technology and where it might take us, itā€™s even better if you can have a good laugh while doing it.

Happy to be asked about anything related to mathematical finance (or anything else for that matter): will do my best to provide a clear and accessible explanation or start a discussion with someone better placed to answer it.

7 Likes

What brings you here?

• I am working on the design and usability of a user interface to demo the Vega Protocol. In the past I worked on centralised trading platforms and am really excited to explore the opportunities and challenges of communicating the concepts that are specific to de-fi.

• The De facto method for trading all the derivatives! And more modestly, Iā€™m interested in the creation of new derivatives, allowing the esoteric but making it accessible.

• The Tower of Babel and Ted Changā€™s Tower of Babylon (and Iā€™d recommend Ted Chang)

:wave: Please say hi if you are doing User-centered design in the De-fi space.

6 Likes

What brings you here?

I work on the trading interface and designing the GraphQL API with @michael & @matt. Weā€™re aiming to provide a flexible, powerful user interface for trading, exploring the network and other related activities.

Unofficially, Iā€™m also the official GameBoy photographer for the team. If you see me at a conference and need a new profile photo, just ask - I probably have a GameBoy Camera in my bag.

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Book or film, pick your preference, both are great - and thatā€™s down to Chandlerā€™s word-perfect dialogue

6 Likes

Hiya all, Iā€™m Tamlyn, one of the early crew here at Vega. My professional background is trading electricity (+gas, coal, weather) derivatives and at Vega I help to shape the protocolā€™s mechanism design. The opportunities and implications of Vega bend my mind continuously and Iā€™m hugely looking forward to engaging with you all on that. Iā€™m sure you have ideas I cannot even start to have imagined.

What brings me here?

Ramsey and I worked together on some of his previous projects. When he first pitched the idea of Vega to me the daringness of it struck me instantly. Could margined markets actually run without the onerous abundance of intermediation I was used to from my capital markets days? What would this imply in terms of shifting the existent power structures around access to financial markets? How could this actually work? Iā€™ve not looked back since joining Ramsey, Barney and the rest of the team in our ongoing mission to figure all this out.

Book Iā€™d recommend

Iā€™m currently reading Snowdenā€™s ā€œPermanent Recordā€ā€¦ what a guy. I would read it just 'cos i admire him but itā€™s also pretty well written IMHO.

Favourite meme

because all the best trading advice can be found in pokerā€¦

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoinmemes/comments/ctxe97/gotta_know_when_to_hodl_em_daily_bitcoin_meme_day/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

7 Likes

Hey!

Iā€™m Christina and am your designated go to for the Vega community. My background is a mix of philosophy (analytic by education, continental by heart), psychology, early stage start-ups and mental health tech. Between the psychological nature of markets, game theory, collective intelligence and ability to work with tech capable of causing widespread systemic change this weird and wonderful parallel universe seemed like the perfect fit.

My Vega dreams are far beyond the scope of the character limit here but in the near future I would love a futures markets for community-made Vega merch :rocket:

My booklist is never ending but Iā€™d like to recommend is the book released from Enspiral called Better Work Together. Itā€™s a must read for anyone.

Tangentially Iā€™m also going to add this article by Ian Hacking as itā€™s one of my all time favs doesnā€™t have the wide spread credit it truly deserves https://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n16/ian-hacking/making-up-people

If you ever have a burning question, crucial feedback or just want to chat please feel free to message me here, twitter @rudcn or telegram c_hristina

8 Likes

Ciao all, I do sysadmin and devops for Vega. Iā€™m interested in all things related to Linux, continuous integration pipelines, automation, docker containerisation, monitoring and charting metrics.

Favourite crypto meme?

I like anything with Philip J Fry shouting ā€œShut up and take my moneyā€.

Iā€™d like to see this world, a few millenia in the future.

What books would you recommend?

I like the classics: 1984, Brave New World, Paper Eater, and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

8 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is David. Iā€™ve been with Vega for a while thinking mainly about various aspects of financial risk and how design a safe pseudonymous protocol that trades in promises (derivatives) together with @tamlyn and @barney. Results of this are the margin mechanism and the risk engine design together with the early risk models that we have implemented. Other Vega related things that keep me busy are the liquidity incentives for market makers and mechanism design in general. A fair part of this is covered in the white paper.

In my other life I do research at University of Edinburgh School of Mathematics and some teaching (mainly stochastics and mathematical finance).

What brings me here?

My connection to Vega is from one of my previous jobs when I worked as a fixed income quantā€¦ and one of my colleagues knew George from his PhD days at Cambridgeā€¦ thatā€™s the ā€œhowā€. As for the ā€œwhyā€: when @barney, @tamlyn, @ramsey pitched the Vega vision to me I thought: interesting, this might just about work. But it wonā€™t be easy and there will be a lot of interesting research questions arising from this. Weā€™ve solved some, some have motivated my academic research in particular in relation to machine learning and some are work in progress. But the point is that working with Vega is super exciting.

Dream use case of Vega?

Anything that helps people or companies get on with their lives (core business) more easily than they could before: be it easily traded weather insurance, FX futures for holidaysā€¦ anything where the user wonā€™t even know that there is ā€œVega protocolā€ behind what they are doing in the same way that most people donā€™t know that there is something called TCP/IP running the internet.

Book Iā€™d recommend

Well, Hullā€™s ā€œOptions, Futures and Other Derivativesā€ is always a good start, then there is Karatzasā€™ and Shreveā€™s ā€œBrownian Motion and Stochastic Calculusā€ā€¦ but jokes aside if we are talking about reading just for fun then Iā€™m a big fan of Terry Pratchet (Mort is probably the favourite), Ursula K. Le Guinā€™s books are great (The Left Hand of Darkness)ā€¦

Favourite meme

Not sureā€¦ Iā€™m not really up to speed when in comes to crypto (or any other) memes.

Hard to sayā€¦ Discworld would be fun I suppose but some characters there have very short and unpleasant life spans. The Earth of ā€œFuturamaā€ i.e. 1000 years and the future here, but with Zoidberg and Bender. Good news everyoneā€¦

5 Likes

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is great! Iā€™m currently reading it too!

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Iā€™m one of the founders of Vega. My focus is mostly on making sure thereā€™s enough fuel in the tank and that conditions are good to achieve our ambitions

What brings you here?

Iā€™ve spent much of my life working in technology and building companies. A few years ago during some downtime I took a closer look at the decentralised systems being built and was curious about how they might impact the tech space and society in general. Thatā€™s also about the time I met my co-founder @barney. He really helped me get my head around some of the the more difficult concepts and he happened to be an awesome guy! And here I am :slight_smile:

Iā€™m excited about the explosion of creativity and innovation that our protocol will support

Favourite crypto meme?

Sorry I donā€™t have one

Still squeezing the juice out of this one!

Book - Nelson Mandelaā€™s autobiography Long Walk To Freedom is incredible and touching
Movie - Alien vs Predator, I assume itā€™s obvious why

5 Likes

Hi everyone! Iā€™m Barney :smile_cat:

Iā€™m a bit of a Vega fanboy, and at least partly responsible for the design of the protocol. Iā€™m mostly here for the neon yellow swag though.

Stavro Mueller Beta or Planet Wormulon.

Book: Can I have a whole trilogy? Yes? Ok: William Gibsonā€™s Bridge trilogy. How about two trilogies? Cool, add his Sprawl trilogy to that. I can have more? Cool, everything by Neal Stephenson but particularly Diamond Age, Snow Crash, and Cryptonomicon.

Why? These are textbooks to the future, theyā€™re incredibly well written, brilliant books, unbelievably prescient, and I donā€™t know how anyone can think about the future or design new tech without having read them (and really a whole ton more sci-fi).

Movie: Apollo 11 (2019) is probably the best movie of at least the last 5 years. Yes I know itā€™s a documentary. Still though. The best movie ever is Demolition Man (only half joking.)

4 Likes

Hey everyone, Iā€™m Daigan :smile:

• What brings you here?

As an LSE student, former President of our Blockchain Society, and current Executive Director of London Blockchain Labs, I ran into Vega a while ago and ended up sticking around because I was such a fan of the company. We even collaborated on the community-focused ā€œDeconstructing DeFiā€ as part of London Blockchain Week back in March (pre-Covid :frowning: )

Iā€™ll be interning here for the next couple of months and youā€™ll be able to catch me on the forums building up a storm and anywhere else Vega has an online presence! :stuck_out_tongue:

• Whatā€™s your dream use case of Vega?

Iā€™d love to see Vega leading the transition away from traditional market structures, setting protocol standards and creating frameworks for future firms to follow.

• Favourite crypto meme?

dump pump meme

Obviously Satoshiā€™s house :exploding_head:

• What book or movie would you recommend and why?

Iā€™m currently reading Nasim Talebā€™s ā€œThe Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbableā€.
Taleb takes the reader through a journey of how the unexpected/improbable define and shape our civilisation more so than any other single entity. Iā€™m half-way through but I would 100% recommend the book (so far).

5 Likes

Welcome @Daig, pleasure to have you here!

3 Likes

@Daig so great to have you here! And I am shamed by the fact you have done a profile before me! Well done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Daig Black Swan is a good book ā€¦ It is also one of @dannyā€™s favourites ā€¦ so I know that he would be up for a natter and @Ashley has just started the Vega Bookclub so you might be able to get on that agenda ā€¦ Iā€™ll totally do a Nasim day at Vega.

3 Likes

@rebecca Iā€™m down with NNT (Yeah you know me).

2 Likes

Iā€™m an active member of DeFi community (Iā€™ve helped setting up and admin large communities for decentralised exchanges), a crypto researcher, and a writer (Twitter link here). I featured Vega in one of my essays about ā€œthe next wave of decentralised exchangesā€ (link here). Currently working on series of crypto related articles for UKā€™s ā€œMoneyā€ magazine.

Much like the web, that was initially catering to a privileged few, DeFiā€™s benefits will pass on to an entire generation of under-served consumers who may never had access to more advanced financial products (like derivatives trading on Vega Console).

ā€œZero to oneā€ by Peter Thiel but I am sure most of you know this one already :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the intro and welcome @Marcin, looking forward to your article series!

2 Likes