Vega Origins

Our archives… our story. A place to chronicle, laugh and remember all the times.

A record of the mind altering week that was Consensus 2018

2 years ago, @rebecca and I ventured across the Atlantic to immerse ourselves in the emergent crypto scene that Vega was set to be a part of. Now, it’s fair to say that both of us have previously known our fair share of crazy via our careers in startup tech and trading, but nothing could prepare us for the mania of the crypto scene at that time, in that place. Lambos, long queues, diamond encrusted hard wallets, a “bankers against bitcoin” rally, “the” boat cruise and cocktail parties at dizzying heights above the Midtown skyline. It was the best of times, it could probably be called the worst of times… but either way it was one hell of a way to be inducted…

1 Like

Is there info somewhere about how Vega’s founders met?
Who is the initiator of Vega?

1 Like

Hi @Marcin, welcome to the Vega community!

A lot of the team had known each other for quite a while before Vega, many of us had worked together in previous businesses that Ramsey or I founded, and some of us have been friends since university.

Ramsey and I met a few years ago now, and connected over a shared ideological desire to use technology to increase fairness, openness and transparency and create the conditions for a world of innovation that leaves no one behind. This is something that blockchains and decentralised systems in general are uniquely suited for, and is part of the DNA of Vega. It’s why we’re guided by how people and businesses will benefit from our technology in five, ten, or more years time, rather than the latest trends for people hoping to get rich quick.

Check out some of the talks linked on our website, and posts on our blog for more colour on this :smile_cat:

1 Like

@Marcin If you’d like to do a little more reading into the start of Vega, we also published this blog post last year. It covers how the white paper authors met, their backgrounds, and how that laid the groundwork for Vega’s design: https://medium.com/vegaprotocol/behind-the-scenes-of-the-vega-protocol-whitepaper-6fab1df2c518

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for - amazing article!

2 Likes

Thank you! :relaxed: Glad to hear it.

1 Like

Hi @barney thank you for taking the time to explain this. I find the beginnings of any business very fascinating. In this particular case, your background in capital markets and Ramsey’s experience from Chainspace makes it even more interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Marcin, happy to to share and we’re always happy to discuss Vega and answer any questions here :smile_cat:

My bit: from pretty early in 2018 we’ve been working on key aspects of the protocol and on drafting the white paper. Here are some photos a whiteboard session in April 2018.

This is the development of the risk engine and the margin / closeout mechanisms.

2 Likes

Those were the days!! So many discussions about time…

2 Likes