Market watch

News and research and info about markets

1 Like

Anyone else know about this…?!

The National Stock Exchange of India overtook the CME Group to become the largest derivatives exchange in the world in 2019. Mumbai-based NSE traded 5.96 trillion contracts in 2019 to CME Group’s 4.83 trillion.

(source: Leading derivatives exchanges by volume 2022 | Statista)

2 Likes

I had no idea that India had such a strong position in global derivatives :astonished:

This might explain at least part of the growth…

India has one of the largest and most liquid single-stock futures markets globally, largly as a result of investors wanting leverage and to save on security transaction tax (STT), which with a couple of other fees adds up to a cost of around 11bps each side of buying and selling single stock shares, plus commissions.

https://www.globalinvestorgroup.com/articles/3667219/lending-vs-derivatives-tools-for-the-trade

2 Likes

That’s a super interesting, if jargon-filled, read. What you highlighted, along with the next paragraph really does explain that. Everyone thinks London or Wallstreet when they think financial hub, but it’s easy to forget that there are different regulatory areas and special economic zones in unexpected places.

“Indian single-stock futures offer leveraged exposure, with only about 10% margin being posted, and incur 1bp STT market charges each side versus 11bps on cash trades,” says Rossiter. “So at only a tenth of the cost, and a tenth of the value needed for margining, it’s an attractive proposition for short-term traders and arbitragers.”

1 Like

This is so exciting to know that India has gone to No1 in Internations Future Exchanges.
I was born in India and I can tell you the NSE and BSE trading volumes there are really humungous.