Logging onto testnet & connecting a wallet: Feedback from users

Even from the very early days of testnet, we’ve received feedback about the login process. When testnet first launched, it used a basic, interim login setup, and then we expanded the capabilities to add more resilient authentication.

We believed that the process to connect to a wallet on Console wasn’t totally clear, and that was confirmed through onboarding sessions. The process assumed some knowledge that we had, but that testnet users didn’t yet have. Eventually, people will have to figure it out alone, and we won’t be on a call with them to walk through how to connect. In the future, connecting to a wallet will also include more options and requirements like adding collateral. How to connect to a wallet needs to be pretty obvious and straightforward.

Vega’s UX designer Michael has been mapping out how to make connecting to a wallet easy to do, with some context so people can learn as they go. Here’s a screenshot that I took from the Figma board where this is all being mapped out.

@michael, would you be willing to share more of your thoughts and work on this so far?

2 Likes

I expect we’ll be iterating on the wallet service for quite some time but you can see the current design work in progress here (Figma link).

Hit the play button in the top right corner to play with a clickthrough. Please forgive typos and factual inaccuracies. This is very much my sketch pad.

I can’t remember the first time I used a username and password to log in to something but I expect it was a novel concept. Defi Wallets and pseudo-anonymous identities: :exploding_head:.

As you mentioned, we’ve got to do a little bit of context setting before we ask people to get started. If someone is a crypto novice there are some pretty fundamental things that might need to be explained. The new design has a link to the quick start guide rather than trying to do all the explaining in Console.

For users who are a little more down-with-the-kids they might habitually expect a link to connect to MetaMask, Argent, WalletConnect etc. However, since Vega is not a project based on Ethereum, we need some custom logic that is only possible if we roll our own wallet service.

Like geth, we’ve hedged our bets and built a wallet service that can:

• Run on the command line
  • Be built in to a Go application as a library
  • Serve an RPC interface allowing us to control it via HTTP

This flexibility means that:

• Our liquidity providing bots can build the wallet in and sign transactions with no overhead
  • We can provide a hosted wallet for users who just want to try out our Testnet
  • We can build a Wallet interface in to the console and connect locally, or to a wallet hosted elsewhere

Thanks @edd for this :point_up:

The first iteration asked the user for the path to a wallet service and had a link to pre-populate it with the service that’s hosted for testnet. This allowed early adopters to experiment, but was pretty terse if they didn’t know what was going on. It did nothing to explain anything of the above.

Upcoming versions will do a little more to explain the options and encourage the user to make a choice so we can progressively disclose the information required for the quest they have chosen.

This is still a bit at odds with the username and password pattern a non-crypto person might expect. I think the crypto world will continue to get better at making it easy to understand and we’ll be ready to use the best ideas whilst refining ours. Also, I think the world might change a little too, other ways of logging in are becoming more common, for example: email me a one time link. (It looks like Fortmatic and Portis are playing with this pattern.)

One element I’m still chewing on is the analogy of a wallet, if you click about a bit in the sketch pad you’ll see some thoughts on deposits and withdrawals, These use other wallets. I’m a bit uncomfortable about stretching the analogy to a point where I have a wallet at either end of a bridge for depositing/withdrawing funds :grinning:. in the real world most people only have one wallet.

Oh, one more thing. We added an X to the top right corner because we saw some early users thinking twice before just clicking on the shaded area to close the drawer, I should have known better.

3 Likes