Ethereum + Vega =?

Hi everyone, I’m Danny and I spend my days coding Ethereum smart contracts in Solidity. I’m currently working on ETH <-> VEGA collateral bridges that enable deposit/withdrawal of ETH, ERC20, ERC721 and oracle controlled assets. I’ll be here for the next hour taking your questions, ask me anything!

2 Likes

Hey Danny! I love to know what is the most challenging part of doing this …

1 Like

Hey Danny! What’s the most horrendous security flaw you’ve come across in a smart contract?

What do you think is the coolest way Vega could interop with other DeFi protocols on Ethereum? And what do you think is the most incredible/fascinating thing happening in the ethereum ecosystem at present?

1 Like

At the moment the most challenging part is making the interactions between the two chains (ETH and VEGA) secure and non-gameable. It’s difficult to get a command from one chain to another without an authority, so we are using a combination of CQRS (Command Query Responsibility Segregation) and TSS (Threshold Signature Scheme) to ensure that that gap between the chains is covered. TSS is a complicated old-school crypto mechanism that has very few examples of solid implementations that fit our needs. This research is ongoing.

In general, the most challenging part of Solidity is the odd caveats of the language and knowing that every operation costs real money to run. It’s much closer to firmware programming than the full-stack web that I came from.

1 Like

Hey @Danny what’re your current thoughts about Ethereum 2.0 and how this could be useful for projects like Vega Protocol?

1 Like

How do you think ewasm will change the way you think about what could/should be built as a smart contract?

1 Like

What do you think is the coolest way Vega could interop with other DeFi protocols on Ethereum?

As you know, Ethereum is the home of most of the DeFi projects and crypto assets. We will soon be able to create a market on Vega of ANY asset that is hosted on or known about on Ethereum. This means users could make complicated markets from the output or state of any of the DeFi or tokens out there. Want to fractionalize a CryptoKitty?

what do you think is the most incredible/fascinating thing happening in the ethereum ecosystem at present

ETH2 staking and sharding. Ethereum has been billed as the world computer and ETH2 brings that promise so much closer. With some of the insane research that is ongoing in the community, I expect that soon we will be able to run VISA-level financial systems right next to nearly real-time game systems. The sky will soon be no limit.

2 Likes

ETH2 will bring down the cost of operations while increasing the throughput dramatically. This mixed with composability and being the home of most of the good crypto projects will enable complex products that we cannot yet imagine, and they will all be available for market making in Vega.

2 Likes

How do you think ewasm will change the way you think about what could/should be built as a smart contract?

Right now the biggest hurtle for mass adoption of ETH in developer circles are the arcane languages of Solidity and Vyper. ewasm will enable developers to use their language of choice (so long as it compiles to wasm) when developing smart contracts. I expect this will cause a surge in developer interest and we will see a massive increase in creativity and project scope.

2 Likes

What is your guys approach to the holy problem of the oracle?

1 Like

There are many caveats in Solidity and pitfalls; really obscure things like reentry attacks etc. but the biggest flaw I’ve ever seen was a simple one: no protection of the change owner or terminate functions. Meaning anyone who bothered to read the contract could immediatly take control and/or kill the contract. It’s for this reason that I encourage and push for 3rd party code audits before launch.

3 Likes

Hi there, I’ve seen that your token an ERC20, what will be the utility of this and can the vega token be used beyond the vega network?

1 Like

Marking the source of the asset. A market can be built around an asset from a specific oracle. This means that BTC from Oracle A is not the same as BTC from Oracle B and they are marked as such internally.

1 Like

The Vega token will be used as voting and staking weight and staking reward within the Vega network. As of this moment we do not plan to use it for anything else, but the protocol is community driven so other uses can be voted in. There will be more clarity around this specifically as we move forward.

1 Like

which integration would you be most interested in tackling next from a technical challenge perspective?

Thanks! What does the reward structure for staking look like?

1 Like

Outside the ETH ecosystem? I’d say BTC is the obvious next step, but personally I would love to do a Dogecoin integration because wow. such awesome. It was my first taste of the cryptocurrency world, so Doge holds a special place in my heart. I’m also partial to Stellar Lumens (XLM) but it’s pretty far down the list.

Within the ETH ecosystem, I’m looking closely at Chainlink’s oracle protocol and how we can consume their output to create markets. I’ve got ERC721 under control, but I may need to make some tweaks to do the Cryptokitty fractionalization I mentioned earlier, even if it is silly. I’m also impressed with the Enjin 1155 token and everything they are doing, so I’ve started that research as well. I think game items will be quite valuable to the ecosystem in the future.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to defer you to the rest of the team. That specifically falls firmly in “not my job” land.

1 Like

:heart_eyes: so many fun markets to be made…