Edition #1 Zero-Sum Game: The Rise of the World's Largest Derivatives Exchange

Hey :wave:

Welcome to our very first book club gathering. The idea is to get together once a month to discuss, learn and share our thoughts about a set book. For the first one we’ll be reading ‘Zero-Sum Game: The Rise of the World’s Largest Derivatives Exchange’ about the dramatic bidding war for Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) between Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) and Atlanta’s Intercontinental Exchage (ICE).

Its author, Erika Olson was newly employed marketing director at the CBOT and does an incredible job narrating the gripping tale from an insiders perspective that brings these institutions to life. The drama is injected with a fair bit of educational content regarding the exchanges, derivatives and market history.

I suggested this book as it’s really entertaining and does an excellent job of mixing theory and practice. It has a bunch of theory you’d find in educational resources but since it is described in the context of the merger it’s both easier and more fun.

What are we reading?

For the first edition I suggest we read :point_right:t3:

:palm_tree:Chapter 1 - Welcome to the Jungle

:dancing_men:Chapter 2 - Into the Groove

:crab:Chapter 3 - This is How We Do It

Amazon link :point_right:t3: Zero-Sum Game: The Rise of the World’s Largest Derivatives Exchange

When?

Thursday 9th April 16.00 - 17.00 GMT +1 in a zoom room I’ll send out on the day in the the following invite.

https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=NWsxbnNpMTJzaHV2dWpsMTJsMTQ1b2FsY2MgY2hyaXN0aW5hQHZlZ2EueHl6&tmsrc=christina%40vega.xyz

Happy reading and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions :nerd_face:
Christina

2 Likes

I’m loving reading this book… @danny this is the book I’m sending you :wink:

2 Likes

Oh excellent! Nash’s game theory is actually something I’m interested in and would like to study. This sounds appropriate. Thanks @tamlyn

1 Like